I love Madeleines! I think they are the perfect treat next to your afternoon tea or coffee, and they are really easy to make.
You can do the classic buttery recipe, or fill them with lemon curd, but I wanted to flavor them with passion fruit and poppy seeds. It is a really lovely combination, sweet and sour, and for an extra indulgence you can cover them in white chocolate like I did.
I hope you’re gonna try the recipe and enjoy them too!
- 200 g Granulated White Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 125 ml Passion Fruit Juice (about 6-7 passion fruits)
- 275 g Flour
- 10 g Baking Powder
- 125 g Butter
- 20 g Poppy Seeds
- 200 gr white chocolate (optional)
While you’re preparing the madeleine batter, preheat the oven to 220°
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and let it cool a bit
2. Cream eggs and sugar well, you can do this with a whisk
3. Add the passion fruit juice at room temperature and mix until incorporated
4. Sift the flour with the baking powder and add them to the mix
5. Add the cool melted butter stirring constantly
6. Incorporate the poppy seeds with a spatula
7. Butter the molds (if you use silicone molds skip this step) and fill them about two thirds
Bake at 220° C for 5 minutes, after that turn the temperature down to 200° C and continue baking for 10 minutes.
After the madeleines have cooled down, melt the white chocolate over a Bain-marie or in the microwave oven. Dip the madeleines in the white chocolate so they’re covered about one third through (or more if you prefer them more chocolatey).
Enjoy these lovely madeleines with a nice cup of coffee or tea!